Here’s the most current information on the Oregon Senior Games’ Power Walk event. If you’re interested in playing, be sure to register here. Want to see who else is playing? Click here to see who’s registered.
Saturday, August 12, 2023
- Check-In: 10:30 a.m.
- Start: 11 a.m.
- Track & Field Event Schedule – Tentative
Oregon State University Whyte Track & Field Center
Corvallis, OR 97333
- Zach Holloway (email, 541-999-4210)
- Preferred contact method is email.
- 1500 m Power Walk
- Registration Fee: $40 ($30 if registered prior to June 11th)
- Event Fee: $10 per event
- Registration Deadline: August 1, 2023
- No on-site registration is authorized.
- Competition will be in five year age groups starting with 50-54.
- The 2023 Oregon Senior Games is not a qualifier for the National Senior Games. The next qualifier for Nationals will take place in August 2024.
- Power Walking, while very similar to Race Walking, does not have the same technical requirements. The rules are simple:
- One foot must be on the ground at all times. Running, deemed to be when both feet are off the ground, is forbidden and is cause for disqualification.
- Each foot-strike must be heel to toe at all times. “Creeping,” wherein the lead toe strikes prior to the heel, is forbidden and is cause for disqualification.
- Technical Race Walking, where the lead leg remains straight from heel-strike when the knee passes under the body, is forbidden and is a cause for disqualification. A bent knee is the accepted form.
- Disqualification will result when an athlete is judged to be running, “creeping,” or using a race walking technique described above in two separate instances by two separate officials during the course of the race/competition.
- Rules will be strictly enforced. If you have any questions, please contact the sports commissioner at the number above.
- NSGA Rulebook – Power Walk